GALLERY MANAGER/ CURATOR
Located at the Nimbus Arts Center, the Firmament Gallery and Boutique presents innovative artwork thoughtfully and professionally, frequently in concert and collaboration with other arts programming presented at the Arts Center. The Firmament Gallery champions visual artists who reflect and engage with Jersey City’s diverse community and with the timely issues of our day. The Firmament Gallery presents 4-6 exhibitions annually and maintains a rotating collection of items for sale in the boutique. The Gallery Manager/Curator is responsible for the management/ administration/ communications, fulfillment of exhibition/event programming, marketing/outreach, and guiding the brand, quality and community relations for the Firmament Gallery and Boutique. The Gallery Manager/Curator works directly with Nimbus’ Artistic Director and other key staff to conceive and develop exhibitions, events, and all facets of gallery management.
Ideal candidates will be knowledgeable about the visual arts, both the local Jersey City/Hudson County arts scene as well as the greater New York City gallery and museum environment. Candidates should be organized, self-motivated, possess good writing skills, and the ability and willingness to handle and hang/display artwork.
- Develop concepts for art shows / curate exhibitions
- Select/engage guest curators
- Prepare/release artist calls
- Hang/display paintings
- Organize opening and closing events
- Develop marketing/descriptive language press releases for shows
- Seek artists, craftspeople, makers, for Boutique
- Develop partnerships with outside galleries, organizations, Universities, etc. for co-presented shows
- Work with Nimbus grant writer to help develop narratives for grant applications
- Oversee gallery intern program
- Prepare/deliver/collect artist agreements
- Track artwork inventory and sales
- Create budget with Executive Director
- Oversee delivery/storage/handling of artwork before/after shows
- Create labels, exhibition-related documents related to identification, pricing, etc.
Firmament Gallery Manager/Curator is a part-time staff position, weekly hours vary widely depending on gallery exhibition schedule. Compensation is hourly, commensurate with experience.
To apply: please complete questions and upload cover letter and resume at this link.